Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Shimmering Pastels! OR Faux Mother of Pearl Gets a New Look

Anyone remember Lumiere and Pearlex? I loved that stuff and I was totally bummed when SU! retired it!!! But this fall they brought out "Shimmer Paint" in a lightbulb moment I got to wondering if I could re-create the Faux Mother of Pearl look with this. Although the steps are all the same, the results aren't quite the same! The "glitter/glimmer" element in the Shimmer Paint gives a totally diffent texture and although you can use ink, I found I preferred doing this with my chalks!

So sit back and enjoy "Shimmering Pastels!"

Step 1: Gather Glossy cardstock, a wad of Saran Wrap, and some Shimmer paint (Any color, I don't think it'll matter whether you use White, Champange, or Silver, although I used Champange here)and a palette of some sort, I used a scrap of clear transparency sheet.


Step 2: Use your wadded up Saran wrap as a "pouncer" and pounce the Shimmer paint randomly on the glossy cardstock. You don't want to competely cover the c/s you want some "veins" of the white glossy to show through.


Step 3: This is the hard part...Let your paint dry!


Step 4: Take a sponge (don't look at my stained one, it really is clean) and some chalks and rub the chalk over the entire piece of c/s.


Step 5: It should look something like this and now you just use this anyway you want!


Here's what I did! The first one is what the butterflies are made of. One butterfly is Bravo Burgundy chalk and the other is Pumpkin Pie chalk. I stamped the butterflies, cut them out, and popped them up on the card! I love butterflies!



On this one the background is Lovely Lilac and the hearts are Pixie Pink. The entire color combo here is Kraft, Lavendar Lace, Black, Lovely Lilac, and Pixie Pink. Not a combo I normally reach for but I like this unique Valentine-ish look!



If you do this, give me a holler and let me see your creations!!!

3 comments:

Debra said...

Very cool Patty! I love the look!

Emma Fewkes said...

What a great idea Patty! I'll have to try this one out :)

Laura said...

WAY cool! I may give this a try.